A legacy of faith, integrity, and love:
Walking in the Light over 35 years

On Saturday, November 5, CFMS celebrated its 35th Anniversary, though song and story telling. These reflections on the day were written by Stephen Benson, CFMS parent and Board Member, with a post script from his wife Rochelle Rice.
When I originally requested to write on my reflections of the CFMS 35th Anniversary weekend, I did not expect the anxiety and tension that would follow the eve of our country’s presidential election. In the wake of these adjustments, I am very thankful that I experienced the 35th anniversary events, because it reminded me why I continue to choose and trust this school and this community with my child’s mind and creativity. A gentleman at the evening anniversary ceremony stood up and shared about his encounter with a CFMS child doing an activity that involved holding a small earth model. The child holding the earth rotated it in their hands, feeling the rough raised surface that represented the land and the smooth blue areas that represented the water. The child concluded that the earth’s different surfaces made up a whole— the rough parts and the smooth parts. At such a young age, this child understood something fascinating about our world, that all of these parts come together, as a whole to make the earth. The gentleman then paused and reminded us how much greater this world would be, if everyone of us lived our daily lives applying this reality.
By creatively engaging me with CFMS history, the 35th anniversary weekend brought me closer to the school’s mission. I was able to hear the stories, first hand, of past and present CFMS parents, former students, and even the founders. I was motivated by hearing how the parents, the “movers and shakers” of the school, took on pivotal and important roles to carry CFMS forward. These early CFMS parents extended themselves in tremendous ways to water the seed which is now fruit we all enjoy today. As a former cleaning crew member, it was fun hearing the stories from cleaning crew members of the past. I immediately realized that I can’t complain about cleaning our Allison Street location at all! Let’s just say, they had some interesting challenges! One thing that hasn’t changed is how each co-op job, from yesterday to today, has been an excellent tool in connecting parents and making CFMS a dynamic community.
Rochelle here! Stephen invited me to share my thoughts about the 35th Anniversary Celebration of Christian Family Montessori School. I was so happy (and grateful!) to be asked to lead the Community Singing. It was such a joy to look out and see so many glowing and joyful faces singing along to the CFMS greatest hits. The planning committee did such an excellent job in creating a celebration that could be appreciated across the generations. The laughter and tear-filled stories, the heartfelt and reverent reflections, and seeing how many people are still connected to the school after their children have gone on to other schools were all affirming reminders that we are a part of an exceptional school community. Stephen and I are both so grateful that in such a divisive and frightening time, our daughter can be a part of a legacy of faith, integrity, and love.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.