Friday, April 24, 2015

Spinach anyone?


When I was a child, I hated spinach.  So did everyone I knew.  The only people who ate spinach were my parents.  I could never understand why they liked it so much; it was just this lump of funky greenness that held absolutely no appeal to me.  I had no connection to it.

 

Now, as an adult, I really like spinach.  I appreciate its versatility and the amazing flavors it contains.  I plant it in my garden at home because I love seeing the crumply, glossy leaves, and I love thinking about all the things I could make with it.  Now, I do have a connection to it.

 

In the classroom, I'm always amazed by the things the children want to cook and are willing to try.  They are such adventurous eaters, especially when they have a connection to what they are preparing.  In the fall, we planted spinach, bok choi, snap peas, and carrots in the garden box outside.  Unfortunately, the only things to survive were the carrots and spinach.  The children have watched that spinach sprout, grow, get clobbered by the cold, and miraculously come back to life in lush green abundance.

 

Over the past few weeks, the children have been very excited to do things with our mass of spinach.  One group of boys made a delicious cheesy spinach dip with greens that were cooked within minutes of being picked.  Actually, they made two, one with bacon and one without (they're always looking for things to add bacon to).  They passed out generous servings to the class, who gobbled it down with relish and begged for seconds.  A few days later, one of the girls made spinach chips in the oven and served them with homemade balsamic vinaigrette to dip in.  Others have been walking into the courtyard and grabbing a few leaves for a snack.

 

At first I was shocked to see children wanting to eat spinach, and even more shocked to learn that they liked it!  But as I think about it, it makes sense.  When you take the time to nurture and care for something, like a plant, you create a kind of psychic connection to it.  You are more willing to try things that are new, especially in the classroom where we appreciate a culture of experiencing and trying new things. Having the garden right outside our room allows the children to see where their food comes from.  They get excited to taste the things they have spent time growing.  The kitchen in the classroom gives them the freedom to cook and experiment and make a giant mess in the process. (It also teaches excellent cleaning skills.)

 

Moments like these make me appreciate Montessori that much more.  It places importance on activities like gardening and cooking, - practical life skills that serve the children well throughout their lives.  It teaches them that it is ok to experiment or make mistakes, and that some things are beyond our control, like the weather killing the bok choi.  Most importantly, Montessori teaches the children how to find a balance in their lives, - balance between things they have to do, like academic work, and those they enjoy doing, like being outside and cooking.  It conveys the message that there are many ways to define success, and one of them is their own sense of satisfaction with what they have done.

 

Mary Hanyok

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.