by Tricia Siudut,
Traditional Primary Teacher
As someone who grew up
going to traditional schools in the suburbs of metro west Boston I am
aware that there are many differences between Montessori classrooms and
Traditional classrooms. Before becoming acquainted with this wonderful
Montessori world of ours I couldn’t have imagined a classroom without a special
desk for the teacher, math without worksheets, or loud bells ushering you
to another room whether you were ready or not. The more immersed I become
though the more I take for granted the way we do things and have to remind
myself, that our peaceful, busy classroom of 25 independent children is not
necessarily the norm.
A few of the predominant
differences are: mixed ages within one room, hundreds of hands-on activities
specially designed, no assigned seating, each child doing something different
in the same room, a non-competitive atmosphere, freedom of movement, and freedom
of communication throughout the work period. The difference that I have been
thinking a lot about recently as I plan my weekly lessons is the
individual tailoring of lessons for each child. It is a bit complicated, and
likely somewhat mysterious and so I thought I would try to tie it up into a
nice neat package…
One of the factors that
I consider when planning lessons is the child’s interests. To come
to know what the child is interested in and their level of comprehension or
ability I need to observe. This means without bias or assumption watching and
noting movements, attention, stumbling blocks, and moments of joy. The children
are used to my intermittently sitting with a notebook and know that when I do I
am “working,” and deciding what lessons to give them. They seem to
instinctively settle down and become more concentrated when I observe and it
has a calming effect on the classroom. Maria Montessori was first a scientist
and she brought the scientific method of gathering data through observation
to her philosophy of education. For example, if I see a child running his hands
over the colorful bead chains but he is not yet counting to 100 without
difficulty and doesn’t yet have the control of movement to manipulate the small
papers we use to label the chains I would look for something that may be
satisfying and offer the right level of challenge. I might suggest a
preliminary math work, like Spindle Boxes where he would count a physical
quantity and associate the large number symbols from 0-9. I may invite him to
dust the bead chains, string beads, and/or to match and grade the colors on the
color tablets. I want to find out what it is that is interesting about a thing
and the purpose that interest may hold for the child’s development, and then
cater to that need at the appropriate difficulty level..
Another
factor in deciding what lesson to give is whether or not the child has had the
prerequisite lessons to set him or her up for success. For
example if a child is interested in “The Farm,” which is a reading activity
that introduces adjectives (“the lazy lamb,” “the confident
farmer”, etc.), they needs to be reading quite fluently. To be successful with
the farm materials one should be reading phonetically as well as reading many
phonograms (like the “y”=ee in lazy, and the “er” sound in
farmer), otherwise it would be frustrating rather than fun.
Lastly, there is a sequence that many lessons are designed
to follow which is meant to lead each child from the foundational thinking of
Primary through abstract problem solving of the Elementary years. CFMS is an
AMI (Association Montessori International) certified school and each of our
teachers are trained to give lessons according to the standards that they have
put forth. The order of the lessons revolves around which information is
relevant for the intellectual, emotional, spiritual, and physical developmental
stage that the child is in, which corresponds very loosely with their
age. The children will not all come to writing at precisely 5, or counting at
precisely 4, they may come earlier or later but when they do my goal is to
notice and offer them activities that support their practice and encourage them
toward the next challenge.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.