by Kristi Medley, Director of Education
This year in June, my first group of 3-year-olds will
graduate from high school, and move onto college. As a new Montessori teacher
returning to CFMS in 2001, my training had been excellent, but it was those
children, over the course of our three years together, who really taught me how
to be a teacher.
Once on the playground, I saw two of the girls arguing. They
were in their 3rd year in the classroom together. They had always
been close, but as they neared the age of 6, the relationship was changing. The
conflicts were bigger, deeper, and more frequent. In retrospect, I know now
that they were shifting into that elementary age, when how to be together, how
to respect each other, and how to be friends become more conscious questions
for them.
Their voices grew louder, and S. ran over to me,
shouting, “A. isn’t listening to me!” Together we went over, and I dropped
down to their level. I said to them, “A., S. has something important she’d like
to say to you. Are you ready to listen to her?” And with each girl facing each
other, and me by their side, they began to talk in earnest. I can’t remember
their exact words, because honestly, none of the words made sense to me. Whatever
the words were, they went something like: “A., I didn’t like it when I was
going to be a gray squirrel and you said ice cream tastes good.” A.
nodded knowingly, and replied, “I heard what you said. I didn’t like it when
you chased the rabbit, but it’s the birds that have the acorns.” A.,
“I heard what you said.” And back and forth they went, laying out all the
wrongs that had taken place between them, and listening to one another.
To me, the conversation was completely incomprehensible. But
they were in tune with one another. And as they finished, they simply smiled
and ran off together, devising new complicated games and laughing.
Our strategy in that situation was the same then as it is
today. We give the children tools to talk and listen to each other. And if
someone isn’t fully participating in the conversation, a mediator steps in to
help. Often, the mediator’s role is simply to be present and listen. At other
times, the mediator helps children find the words they need to express
themselves, and reminds them how to listen to the other person.
My natural inclination is to want to fix the problem for
everyone, to come up with a solution. I want to say, “You do this, and then you
do this, and then everyone will be happy again.” But that’s not the way
conflict works. That moment between A and S made that so abundantly
clear to me. I couldn’t even make sense of the words, much less solve the
problem for them. All I could do was be present and remind them of the
importance of talking to one another.
As adults, we want to make the road smooth for our children,
to take away all of the strife. We want to solve all of their problems. But it’s
an impossible task. And with our good intentions, we often steal from them
those moments of greatest growth—those moments of conflict where they find
their voice, feel heard, and find empathy. I’m so thankful to that group of
children, for teaching me that lesson. And seeing them now, as the beautiful, confident, almost adults they are becoming, only makes that all the more abundantly clear.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.