by Tricia Siudut, Teacher of the Traditional Primary Classroom
Maria
Montessori believed that all people have a “mathematical mind.” When I first
learned this I thought, “Well here I am to prove her wrong!” But as I learned
more about her view that mathematics are everywhere, I realized that my initial
attitude of disbelief was a product of my traditional math education. Montessori
saw and designed her materials around the fact that math is all around us; in
the proportions of buildings, the angles of light and shadows, in the patterns
in nature, and in our desire to get the same amount of pizza as our friends.
She saw that by drawing attention to places where math exists in our everyday
lives we make it relevant and interesting for children.
During the past few weeks’ math has
been very alive in our classroom, especially with the 4.5-5 year olds who are
working with the “Golden Beads.” Every morning the children are eagerly taking
these materials out and practicing adding with 4 digit numbers. Many of the
younger children who have not yet had this lesson are interested and some of
them have spent time observing their peers. There are a lot of moving parts and
the social, game-like way that the work is done makes it intriguing. This
activity, sometimes called the “Bank Game,” is their introduction to the
decimal system and the way that each of the four math operations are first
experienced.
I have been hearing exclamations
like, “I love addition!” and confident statements like, “a thousand has three
zeroes,” and “ten hundreds are equal to one thousand.” It has been wonderful
to see such enthusiasm for a subject that came across in my traditional
elementary school as far less exciting, since I learned while stationary at my
assigned desk through worksheets and rote memorization.
What has struck me is that when the
children are allowed to work together while moving around the classroom they
are happy. When given physical representation for quantity that they can feel
and see and manipulate, something clicks for them. They can count the objects
that we are adding together and have a sensorial experience of the change that
takes place in the quantity depending on what operation we engage in. The repetition of hearing their peers count
their beads and call them over and over again by the category names of units, tens, hundreds, and thousands helps them to remember the names as well as the
column that the number symbol belongs in. The logic of the activity appeals to
them, and fills them with joy!

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.