Dear CFMS
community,
Twenty-three
years ago, I built the pink tower for the first time in my first Montessori
classroom. Nineteen years ago, I decided I wanted to grow up to be a Montessori
teacher, a dream that never left me. Fifteen years ago, I played Maria
Montessori in our school’s musical. Five years ago, I was accepted by the
Washington Montessori Institute. While in training, God brought me to a school
that would fulfill my lifelong dreams and forever impact my life. As I reflect
on my life as part of the CFMS community, I can easily say they have been the
best years of my life. When I began teaching my own class four years ago, I had
not even met my husband. Two years ago, on this actual day (which also happened
to be a snow day), Peter proposed. Now, I am typing my last blog entry while
our baby girl is kicking and hiccupping. I can’t imagine a community other than
CFMS with whom I would want to share and experience these life-changing memories
more. My time at CFMS has been marked with such peace, and I have all of you to
thank.
To the staff: I’m not sure if I can
adequately communicate how supportive you have been and how much I appreciate
it. Thank you for creating such a positive environment in which to work. You
are more than just colleagues; you are loving friends. Wendy, Judy, and Inga –
You have been an amazing administrative team. Thank you for all of the hours of
thought you pour into every single decision you make. Thank you also for how
much you value your teachers’ feedback and respect our opinions. Your words of
wisdom, humor, and practical support enabled me to persevere through the
toughest times.
To the parents: Thank you for entrusting
me with the care and education of your children. As much joy as the children
bring me, it is often comments, e-mails, and gestures from you that make my
day. I have always felt supported and encouraged by all of you. I haven’t heard
many teachers share similar sentiments, so I truly thank you for making the
CFMS community such a warm and loving one. Thank you for how receptive,
approachable, open, and friendly you have been, even in the midst of tough
conversations.
To the children: You are the reason I
became a teacher in the first place. Thank you for giving me a glimpse into the
“secret of childhood.” I am a better person because of you, and you have surely
taught me more than I have taught you. I feel privileged to have been able to
be a daily witness to your innocence, forgiveness, kindness, and of course, all
your smiles. You have brought me more joy than you will ever know. You have
also made me laugh more than you will ever know.
I thought I
would conclude with some of my favorite quotes and conversations I have
encountered while teaching. Children, I apologize for the times I was not able
to contain my laughter. It’s your fault, though:
Boy (5): When I grow up, I think I’m going to have a glass of wine,
wait a couple days, and then have another glass – so I don’t get drunk.
Girl (5): (To me) I think your baby is growing! Or maybe just your
belly.
Girl (5): (To her classmate) Did you know that if Romney had won, he
would’ve taken away bird control for
women?!
Boy (5): He would? Why would he do that?!
Girl: I don’t know, but I’m glad Obama won!
Girls (5): Ariel’s dress is so pretty!
Boy (4): No! Ariel’s a boy!
Me: The girls are talking about Ariel from The Little Mermaid.
Boy: (utterly relieved) Oh, I thought they were talking about Ariel
from The Tempest.
Me: Do you know what a lad is?
Girl (5): Ya! What a pirate calls his mate. “Ayyyyy, lad!”
At dismissal, I was shaking the students’ hands, telling them goodbye
and to have a good day. In response, a girl says, “Have a good baby!”
Boy (3): Hi best buddy!
Girl (6): No! You can’t say best buddy. You can only say best friend.
Or BFF.
Me: This is a long-haired Chihuahua.
Boy (3): No. It’s a kitty cat.
Me: And this is a Greyhound.
Boy (3): (Looks at me as if I’m unqualified to be a teacher.) Ummm…it’s
a horse.
From the bottom of my heart, thank
you CFMS! I will miss you all.
Carly Donohue
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.